My hair stylist said to me this Saturday at my standing 8-week appointment, “You have more hair than sense.”
It’s true– I have a lot of hair. It’s long (a labor of growing some 9+ years in the making; I’m so serious), wavy, and can run a little on the coarse side if I’m not diligent with deep-conditioning.
One of my favorite styles is classic summer surfer girl hair: beachy waves.
Think Gisele Bundchen and Kate Hudson. Easy. Unstructured. A little mussed. Textured. Unperfect.
For most of us, looking like we just stepped out of the ocean and into the beach breeze takes some work. You need product and a little know-how.
A few tips:
- Wash and condition hair with something that encourages volume/curl/texture.
- Prep your hair with a product like Sally Hershberger’s Supreme Head Style Primer, which sets a foundation for tousled waves.
- If your hair has a tendency to get a little frizzy, rub in a little anti-frizz cream.
- Finish off with a salt-based wave spray (I use Bumble & Bumble’s Surf Spray, Garnier’s Wonder Waves spray gel and Frederic Fekkai’s Marine Summer Hair Beach Waves intermittently).
- After you get the product in, give your hair a few scrunches. And then LEAVE. IT. ALONE. Your hair + the product will do it’s thing, no touching/blow drying/fussing required.
- If you have naturally super straight hair, use a curling iron after your hair is dry. Just wrap random chunks around the outside of the barrel (i.e., no clamp!), hold for a few seconds, then release. Finish with a little hair spray to hold the curl.
Do you have any go-to products for perfect beach hair?