Leather jackets and motorcycle boots have been in for a few seasons now. I’d argue that the trend is getting tougher, edgier, as people get used to it. Biker-wear desensitization, if you will.
Moto is a little punky this season. (If you’ve been waiting for Doc Marten boots to come back, it’s your lucky day. They are indeed back, and worn in the British-hipster style of Agyness Deyn and crew.) It’s aggressive and raw, although that doesn’t mean that your entire look has to follow suit.
My favorite way to wear the moto trend is with one or two (max!) pieces paired with something super girly— like a flouncy floral minidress or blouse.
Some pieces to consider:
1. Rick Owens Blister Washed Leather Sleeveless Biker Jacket ($1600)
2. Deena & Ozzy Zip Front Moto Satchel ($68)
3. Sam Edelman Lorissa Stud Pump ($199)
4. Topshop Black Cropped Pu Biker Jacket ($110)
5. Infectious Threads 3-Row Distressed Stud belt ($15)
6. Rebecca Minkoff Studded Mistress Cuff ($75)
7. KORS Michael Kors Bixby Buckle Sandal ($295)
8. Belle Noel Palladium Glam Rock Long Finger Ring ($79)
9. Free Lance 4 Mini-Strap Biker Boots ($700)
10. Topshop Black Studded Skinny Leather belt ($55
Some of the pieces pictured above are insanely expensive ($1600 for a jacket that doesn’t have sleeves is crazy, right?), but the takeaway message is the look, the aesthetic, etc. 😉
The easiest way to rock this trend (and not drop a fortune on leather) is with a belt or a piece of jewelry. A great studded belt wrapped around a little sundress adds an edge. A tough motorcycle-inspired bag is a perfect way to wade in, as well.
Motorcycle boots are everywhere, with the emphasis for Spring 2011 being short/ankle boots. The brave will pull ’em on with a short dress or a maxi skirt; if you’re easing in, try slipping on a pair over leggings or skinny dark denim.
A leather jacket is something every girl needs (real or faux; there are some seriously cute faux leather options on the market right now— check Kohl’s, Delia’s and Forever21). It should be super fitted (too big/slouchy and it’s going to look dated), slightly cropped and you should be able to roll/scrunch up the sleeves. I wear this over everything— dresses, t-shirts and jeans, tanks and skirts, etc. Very versatile.
Are you moto? Or not so much?